Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin pie puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease or line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium mixing bowl until well combined. Beat in softened butter until texture is "sandy", add in vanilla extract, pumpkin and eggs; continue mixing until batter is smooth.
- With a small ice cream scoop drop dough balls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or until springy to the touch, be careful not to over bake. Cool on baking sheets for 5 – 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Scoop cream cheese filling into a pastry bag
and squeeze a good size dollop onto the flat side of one cookie, top with the
flat side of a second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining
cookies and frosting. Makes approximately 3 dozen cookie sandwiches.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl on medium speed until well combined and creamy. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
Note: We've used the reverse creaming method with this recipe. Learn more about the different types of creaming methods (yes, there is more than one!) in our upcoming blog posts.